Have you tried 6 Hour Power from Stacker 2? Energy shots are all the rage these days and with the popularity of 5 Hour Energy, you knew it was only a matter of time until somebody came out with 6 hour energy! Like most energy shots – 6 Hour Power has zero calories and claims to cause “no crash”, “enhanced concentration” and “Improved performance”. I had the opportunity to try the 6 Hour Power energy shot to see if it actually worked. Since “6 hour” is in the name of this energy shot drink, I timed myself for 6 hours to see if I felt any different. Let’s look at 6 Hour Power Shot and see what we can learn about it.
6 Hour Power Ingredients
The ingredients in 6 Hour Power are not significantly different than in other energy shot drinks. According to the bottle I used (orange flavor), the product has these ingredients:
- Niacin 20 mg (100% Daily Value)
- Vitamin B6 40 mg (2000% Daily Value)
- Folic acid 400 micrograms (100% Daily Value)
- Vitamin B12 500 micrograms (8,333% of Daily Value)
- Sodium 10 mg (<1% Daily Value)
Energy Blend. 2125 mg. has the following ingredients
- Malic Acid
- N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine
- L Phenylanalyine
Enzyme Blend. 1 mg. has the following ingredients
6 Hour Power vs. 5 Hour Energy
If these ingredients look familiar it’s because you have seen them before. They are very similar to the ingredients in 5 Hour Energy. Here is a comparison so you can see for yourself.
|6 Hour Power Shot||5 Hour Energy|
|Niacin 20 mg||Niacin 40 mg|
|Vitamin B6 40 mg||Vitamin B6 40 mg|
|Folic acid 400 micrograms||Folic acid 400 micrograms|
|Vitamin B12 500 micrograms||Vitamin B12 500 microgram|
|Sodium 10 mg||Sodium 18 mg|
|Energy Blend (2125 mg)||Energy Blend (2000 mg)|
|N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine||L Phenylanalyine|
I won’t cover the “Enzyme blend” in 6 Hour Power because healthy people (who this is marketed to) do not need any extra enzymes. They don’t give us energy and additional enzymes don’t do anything to make you more awake, improve performance, concentration or make you bigger, stronger or faster.
Looking at the table, you see that the level of vitamins are pretty much identical between both products. For more info on the actual ingredients do read my 5 Hour Energy Review.
As for the Energy Blend, there is 125 mg more of something in 6 Hour Power Shot. What that something is I don’t know because they never tell you how much of each ingredient is in the Energy Blend.
If we assume that they are listing the ingredients from the most to the least, then we might conclude that 6 Hour Power has more caffeine than 5 Hour Energy since it’s the 3rd ingredient listed vs. the 6th ingredient for 5 Hour Energy. But ,since both products claim that they have as much caffeine as a cup of coffee it’s hard to say for sure if the 6 Hour Power has more caffeine or not.
Will 6 Hour Power work?
I don’t use energy drinks so I figured I would be a good person to try this product since I likely would not be used to its effects. I tried 6 Hour Power Shot in the morning around 5:45 AM before I headed out for the day. I timed myself for 6 hours to see if I had more energy or felt any different. Since it’s called “6 Hour” its reasonable to assume that it would work for 6 Hours. The orange flavor that I used, was kind of a mild, watered down taste but overall not bad at all. This is what I found after using 6 Hour Power Shot:
- It definitely tasted better than 5 Hour Energy – so that was good!
- I did not have an odd feeling in my stomach like when I previously tried 5 Hour Energy. Check out my 5 Hour Energy Review for much more info on that product.
- 6 Hour Power did not make my heart race (at least I didn’t notice it)
- 6 Hour Power did not give me any instant burst of energy
- 6 Hour Power did not give me any extra energy or pep during my day
- 6 Hour Power did not improve my concentration
- I saw no crash with 6 Hour Power Shot. I saw no increase in energy either
- I felt no different – no better or worse – after taking 6 Hour Power
- I saw no proof that 6 Hour Power will help people for 6 hours
This is the 2nd energy shot product that did not work for me – and I wanted it to work! Maybe I need “7 hour energy”….
What do you think?